In the fast paced world we live in, it’s hard for a lot of readers to sit down and find the ‘needle in the haystack’ of musicians. Platforms such as SoundCloud, Spotify, Apple Music and Tidal make it more accessible for us to discover music on the go. What I want to do, is share that needle, the gem amongst the thousands of artists continuously posting to the web. Scouring for those artists that I can’t wait to share and to see what they will release next. Any genre, new or old, these lists will shed a light of the artists on repeat this week.
Music Discovery January 14-21
*Listed in no particular order*
1. Kloudbug: Shrouded in mystery, unknown location, age or name Kloudbug is a part of the growing culture of producers re-creating downtempo beats to classic rap tracks. Mixing the subtle production with trap tunes from Gucci, Migos, Trinidad James, etc. is a beautiful combination. A unlikely blend of styles, you might be surprised to find yourself with Kloudbug on repeat.
2. Luke Titus: Hometown find of the week is Luke Titus, an experimental pop artist at the start of his career. Releasing a beautiful EP entitled “A Side of Love” which holds one incredible track after the next. Mystifying vocals hover over tantalizing production as Luke Titus takes you on a emotional journey. Each song has a unique flair that makes listening to this project an absolute treat. If you are from Chicago, make sure to catch Luke Titus on February 16th at The Lighthaus.
3. Tusken: When I listen to Tusken I think about those vapor-wave videos you catch online. Old 90’s cartoons, scratchy visuals, VHS style editing with hypnotic and mysterious production. Each track a journey and light-hearted, jazzy and almost alien like beats dance across your speakers. An artist that as you dive deeper into his SoundCloud history, you fall more entranced by Tusken’s production.
4. Gus Dapperton: A 20-year-old artist from Warwick, New York with a dreamy and dazzling EP entitled Yellow and Such. Released only 5-months-ago, this was Gus’s first project to be put out as himself. Each track is a unique journey into Gus as both an artist and a youth. In the video for “Yellow and Such X Vogue” Gus talks about embracing the colors he wears and sounds he makes; and once you express a true interpretation of yourself, life becomes beautiful.
5. VincentLeone: A musician who caught our attention because of his skill to artfully blend hip-hop, jazz and blues into a lullaby tune you want to bob your head to. Hailing from Miami, Florida and still only 20-years-old Vincent is still mastering his craft. Sometimes leaning closer towards strictly hip-hop beats in production styles. If you are a fan of beat makers, do not skip out on VincentLeone.